Technically innovative IPT vendors provide advanced UC services designed to drive enterprise ROI through business process improvements. Despite user demand and the improvements that UC services bring to the enterprise, CFOs have to recognize the TCO of a new UC service, which includes implementation, capital and annual operational costs. Capital costs typically account for less than 10% of the TCO over 5 years with the bulk of the remaining costs being operational expenditure.
UC services are rapidly increasing in complexity, making engineering and deployment of these services difficult. Innovative solutions for the deployment, migration and on-going management of UC services are required to drive an acceptable ROI and to lower the overall TCO. The use of UC services will not negate implementation and operational project costs, nor will they drive costs below that of legacy telephony systems. Without careful consideration and selection of vendors with proven experience and solutions, these projects can become a major cost and risk.
UC Migration Challenges
UC migration typically involves solving the following issues:
- What is the source of the existing user and device data?
- How can I access and extract the data?
- Does the data need transforming to a different format usable by the new system? If so, is there an efficient way to perform the transformation?
- How can I bulk load the transformed into the new UC platform?
- Who/what can perform the capture, transformation, cleansing and loading?
1. Migrating users from a legacy PBX to a Cisco collaboration platform
- At some point, all enterprises will experience the need to move from one phone system to another, whether TDM to IP based PBX, or IP to IP, as existing gear becomes outdated or the enterprise wishes to take advantage of new technology capabilities.
- This migration can be a daunting task, often involving hundreds or thousands of users, spread across multiple existing PBXs and application systems. This process also needs to consider new applications and features being introduced along with the new system.
2. Retrofitting UC management to an already deployed UC platform
- Many collaboration service deployments begin life with no service management platform or capabilities. Over time organizations come to realize that a simplified, standardized and streamlined management process and capability is highly desirable as a means to significantly reduce operational costs. A process must be provided to allow the management system to become aware of the users, devices, lines, settings and other service features, so that the system can take over on-going management.
- Organizations routinely move people and infrastructure around to meet the ever-changing needs of their business. This process may also require the reprovisioning of users and devices on new applications and platforms.
- Enterprises must be able to deploy hundreds or thousands of users and set up their devices and services accurately and quickly. Any on-boarding process must have the ability to extract data from multiple sources, transform and load that data into the collaboration platform and set up users, their associated devices and services.
VOSS Migration Services
- VOSS Migration Services draw on the expertise, processes and best practices of the VOSS professional services organization, to help organizations rapidly and efficiently migrate and on-board users, devices and services to a next generation UC platform.
Typical phases of migration
1. Agree a migration process
The overall process to successfully on-board all users, devices and services must be understood and agreed. This will vary for different deployments depending on the specific environment, sources of the existing data and transformations required.
Review all service definitions as required by phone types and determine how users should be mapped to the appropriate services and devices.
3. Identify data sources
Determine which sources of user related data will be used; there could be multiple such as existing PBXs, directory systems or flat files like Excel spreadsheets.
4. Configuration of migration tools
VOSS often utilizes custom built tools to streamline data extraction and transformation. These are configured as required so that they can perform the required data extraction, transformation and enrichment.
5. Perform the data capture and transformation process
VOSS can customize the deployment tools to initiate the automatic data extraction, transformation and storage of the source data.
6. UC platform load scheduling
Automated provisioning of services across the collaboration platform can be configured and customized based on the customer’s defined needs and the
schedules of the migration/implementation projects.
VOSS migration modules
The VOSS migration modules can be configured and customized to:
- Extract data from multiple data sources such as PBX export files, LDAP/AD, SQL, CSV or spreadsheet files, Cisco Call Managers, or other Native PBX APIs
- Enrich data, based on custom business rules
- Load various devices/applications onto the collaboration platform (e.g. custom pre-load and cutover workflows)
- Rapid on-boarding of users to managed collaboration platforms
- Increased speed and data accuracy
- Standard processes
- Fully integrated in VOSS platform
|Office Facilities||US & Canada, Asia-Pacific, Japan, European Markets, Emerging markets|
|Support Model||Direct through third party or partner, Direct to customer|
|Support Coverage Hours||24x7 Standard business hours, with after hours pager support|
|TAC Hotline||+44 (0) 844 826 7134|
|TAC Support Alias||null|
|Version||Verified Compatible Cisco Product||Date Tested|